Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Hang Gliding with Dad!

My dad took me Hang Gliding probably for my last time until he gets his tandem glider. We went up to short divide knowing that it was going to be a nice day to fly. So when we got to the top we set up and did our flight checks and started to bring the glider down to launch. The take off was sweet! We took about two steps and we were off the ground. So about 15-20 minutes later Cody took off and joined us. As usual he was up over 8,000 ft before we were. We were working and trying to catch some thermals. About 1 hour into trying to get up I admitted to my dad that I was getting a little bit of motion sickness. So my dad asked me if I wanted to land and I said I don't really care, so we decided to stay up but we were just going NE back to SW a couple of times until we got lift! We had just shot up about 500-700 ft in the air by a thermal and then we just kept working it until we got up and joined Cody.

Here is a little clip of stuff that my dad put together.



When we got done and broken down we were talking and Cody said that I ''cowboyed up'' which in cowboy language means I didn't give up - even when I wanted to, and because of that we were successful! My dad said that I earned my wings that flight.

On our way up we saw a cougar run right across the road. That is the first cougar I have ever seen in the wild.

Total flight time 2 hours 41 min.

I have 6 flights and 8.5 hours total!

3 comments:

Matt S. said...

Nice flyin' with you, buddy! You are developing quite a "bump tolerance"! Let's do it again real soon :-)
Dad

Keri said...

Nice blog Landon. Not everyone gets the chance to fly with their Dad the way you do!

Don't be getting any ideas of doing this on your own until after your 60 though! =)

Simply Lavender said...

TERRIFIC post Yans!!
LUVED IT!! (it does make my tummy go funny when I see how high you guys are!)
What a neat thing that you and your dad get to do together!!
And way to *cowboy up*!!
Thanks for sharing!

HUGS.